Andrew Lenehan 1815- 1886.
Born in County Sligo,Ireland 1815 Lenehan arrived in Sydney in 1835 with James Templeton , a Dublin Cabinet Maker.
In 1841 Lenehan acquired Templton’s Cabinet Making business in Castlereagh St.
An 1851 Billhead describes Lenehan as a ‘Designer & Manufacturer of Superior Furniture ‘ & he provided furniture for some of
the finest houses in the colony. Indeed he received vise regal patronage.
From 1841 to his retirement some 30 years later Lenehan conducted Cabinet Making businesses in Castlereagh St, Pitt St &
Bridge St in what is now Sydney’s CBD, employing an extensive range of skilled crafts men.
In 1851 at the beginning of Australia’s Gold Rush Lenehan produced boxes made from native timbers to contain gold samples
which were presented to Queen Victoria.
Between 1850-1852 Lenehan served as a Sydney City Councillor.
Andrew Lenehan was also commissioned to re-furbish Government House,Sydney & the pieces are still in use there today.
the majority of Lenehan’s pieces were constructed of Australian Cedar throughout and cover the full range of household
furnishings. Several pieces bearing his much rarer impressed ‘A.LENEHAN’ mark contain other timber species both native &
Andrew Lenehan retired in 1875.